Man Suffers Broken Neck After Ecig Explodes, But Something Doesn’t Add Up Man Suffers Broken Neck After Ecig Explodes, But Something Doesn’t Add Up

Cordero Caples claims his ecig exploded, which left him with a broken neck, burned lips, and missing teeth. He was rushed to the hospital, where doctors feared he could be permanently paralyzed from the injuries. After extensive spinal surgery, Cordero is now in stable condition. His sister said the explosion caught the whole family off guard. “If he knew that he was dealing with something that would explode on him, he definitely wouldn’t have put himself in that situation,” she said.

Before the accident, the 29-year-old father was working towards his dreams of becoming a personal fitness trainer, but his injuries could make that impossible. “It’s devastating to see a healthy man with all his strength be put in a position where he can possibly be paralyzed from an e-cig,” his sister said.

Over the past year, we’ve seen a handful of exploding ecigarettes, but none have caused injuries this devastating. Officials from the US Fire Administration blamed the recent surge of explosions on malfunctioning batteries. “E-cigarette manufacturers should consider changing to a different style of electrical connection,” a report stated. “The inclusion of protection circuits into the e-cigarette device would improve battery safety.”

Ecig users around the world expressed concern for Cordero after the explosion with many volunteering to donate towards his medical expenses. The remaining portion of the exploding ecig was sent to the hospital for examination. Reports call the mechanical mod a Chinese Kangertech model, but many ecig users disagree. In photos, the ecig looks like a Steampunk mechanical clone and it appears to be in surprisingly good condition considering the extent of Cordero’s injuries. Many ecig users are asking questions about how the explosion was even possible considering the lack of burn marks on the device. With the only signs of damage being missing glass and the coil remaining in tact, some speculate that the explosion might not have been the main cause of Cordero’s injuries.

Taylor Moore, owner of Soo Vape ecig shop, theorized that the unregulated device likely overheated. “The unregulated devices are the ones that could be viewed as the most potentially dangerous,” he said. Moore assured customers that these explosions are very rare and if you steer clear of mechanical mods, you should be safe. “Short circuit protection, low voltage protection, low resistance protection, and all that is to keep the user safe,” he said.

Are you concerned about the recent surge in ecig explosions? Do the photos of Cordero’s mod seem fishy?

David

Katie Bercham - CocktailNerd Editor

Katie actually had a negative first experience of electronic cigarettes, picking up a cheap and horrible model from my local mall. Thanks to a chance meeting with co-editor David, she hasn’t had a tobacco cigarette in over 5 years. She brings a strong female voice to the e-cig community.