Man Suffers Major Burns After Ecig Batteries Explode In His Pocket Man Suffers Major Burns After Ecig Batteries Explode In His Pocket

It started as an ordinary day and ended in unthinkable disaster. Christopher Robran was meeting some friends for lunch and he grabbed his ecig and threw a couple extra batteries in his pocket for good measure. On his way into the restaurant, he tossed his keys into the same pocket with the batteries. Moments later, he heard the sound of an explosion.

“It sounded like a fuse going off,” Robran described. “And then there’s like fireworks going off in my pants.” Luckily, his friends were nearby and they acted quickly to help him. “So I’m pulling my pants down, and my two friends come running over to me,” Robran said. But it was still too late to save him from injury and the 21-year-old sustained serious second and third degree burns. “I can’t walk because the burn is on top of my muscle on my thigh,” he said.

Now the media is using this story to warn people about the risks of ecigarettes and to urge the FDA to issue immediately regulations. However, if you take a careful look at Robran’s story, it’s clear that his ecig was actually no responsible for the explosion at all. Instead, it was his batteries, which likely came into contact with his keys in the pocket. That caused a short circuit and sparked a blaze that left him with terrible burns.

Those same batteries are oftentimes used in flashlights, radios, and a variety of hand tools. The problem was never the electronic cigarette. It was the unsafe handling of the batteries. You should always store your batteries carefully and separate from each other so the terminals cannot accidentally touch. Never carry your ecig battery in your pocket, especially not with keys. Instead, purchase a carrying case specifically for batteries to keep them safe and avoid any potential fire hazard.

While Robran’s story is certainly tragic, it’s also a timely reminder to use your ecig batteries responsibly. With a little caution, you could avoid a major tragedy.

David

Katie Bercham - CocktailNerd Editor

Katie actually had a negative first experience of electronic cigarettes, picking up a cheap and horrible model from my local mall. Thanks to a chance meeting with co-editor David, she hasn’t had a tobacco cigarette in over 5 years. She brings a strong female voice to the e-cig community.