Promising New Updates on 2014 E-Cig Research

Over the past year, we have seen an abundance of new electronic cigarette research. Dr. Konstantinos Farsalinos has been behind a large portion of the research work, with studies centered at the Onassis Cardiac Surgery Center in Greece. This week, Dr. Farsalinos announced the completion of an international survey focused on electronic cigarettes. The survey involved over 19,000 participants and it has now been submitted for publication in a peer-reviewed medical journal.

According to preliminary reports, this study analyzed responses from 19.441 people around the world, including 88 participants that were not smokers when they began using e-cigarettes. After weighing the responses and tallying results, Dr. Farsalinos found that 81 percent of vapers had completely stopped smoking cigarettes by using e-cigs as a replacement. The remaining 19 percent had reduced cigarette consumption from an average of 20 cigarettes daily to only 4 cigarettes daily.

The study also looked at nicotine content in e-liquids and Dr. Farsalinos discovered that over 20 percent of participants began using e-cigs with more than 20ml of nicotine. He suggests that this verifies that the EU regulations that ban higher concentrations of nicotine in e-liquids will be counterproductive for people using e-cigarettes as a smoking alternative.

Dr. Farsalinos feels confident that this new report will open the door for more important conversations about electronic cigarettes. “We believe this survey will enhance our current knowledge about the characteristics of e-cigarette users and will provide valuable information to the regulatory authorities,” he said.

In the future, Dr. Farsalinos plans to follow up with the participants to collect further data about electronic cigarette use. “We would like to thank everyone who participated to this survey, and we hope you will continue to support our research efforts in the future follow-up surveys,” he concluded.

This is just another example of how electronic cigarettes are rapidly advancing in the world. In 2014, we project that even more studies will be conducted with results just as promising as the work we’ve already seen by great scientists like Dr. Konstantinos Farsalinos.

What are some key areas of e-cig research that you hope to see explored in 2014?

Newsletter
Get Our Updates & Giveaways Monthly
  • All the E-cigarette Headlines You Need to Know.
  • Awesome Giveaways Every Month.
Author Focus: Katie Bercham
Katie actually had a negative first experience of electronic cigarettes, picking up a cheap and horrible model from my local mall. Thanks to a chance meeting with co-editor David, she hasn’t had a tobacco cigarette in over 2 years. She brings a strong female voice to the e-cig community... Read Full Profile >