Over the past few years, we’ve seen several unfortunate stories about exploding electronic cigarettes. While the media tends to portray these incidents as a problem with e-cig technology, it is typically a user problem. Explosions happen when people try to manipulate their electronic cigarettes without fully understanding the dangers of battery voltage and the potential harms. Most recently, an electronic cigarette exploded in the United Kingdom when a vaper attempted to charge the battery with an iPad charger.
The explosion happened at the bar inside the Buck Inn Hotel in Richmond. Two people were reportedly injured in the blast. According to a witness, someone plugged in their e-cig with an iPad charger at and it exploded unexpectedly, burning a customer and a woman working at the bar. Laura Baty, age 18, suffered minor burns on her arms and her dress was also damaged. She was returning change to a customer when the ecig exploded.
“I could see the fire coming at me and I felt the heat as I ran away,” Baty explained. “I started crying hysterically and my arm was all black. My dress caught on fire as I ran away and I just didn’t know what was happening.” The injured customer escaped with minor injuries. The blaze eventually burned itself out on the bar floor.
Richmond fire fighter Steve Bake said the damage could have been much worse if the explosion had happened in a home. “If that had happened in someone’s house, it could have set curtains or furniture ablaze so there is clearly a big risk here. Especially if someone has no smoke detectors.”
This was definitely a scary situation, but fortunately, no one was badly hurt. This should be an important reminder to all electronic cigarette users. Never charge your e-cigarette with equipment that wasn’t designed for e-cigs. Even if the USB port fits in your cell phone charger or your iPad charger, don’t do it. It’s just not worth the risk.
Electronic cigarette starter kits come equipped with everything you need for charging your e-cigarette. If a wall adapter is not included with the USB charger, purchase one directly from the e-cig manufacturer. This will insure that it is fully approved for use with your e-cig and you won’t risk setting your house on fire.
Spread the word to your vaping friends and remember to always follow manufacturer’s instructions when charging your e-cigarette. Let’s work together to avoid more stories like this one. Exploding e-cigarettes are totally preventable with a little common sense.